Seguin Council August 22, 2016 eAgenda
Fednor – $100,000 for Rosseau Memorial Hall Accessibility
Government of Canada Investment Supports Community Infrastructure Projects in Communities Across Parry Sound-Muskoka
The Honourable Bardish Chagger, Minister of Small Business and Tourism, on behalf of the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, and Minister responsible for FedNor, today announced an investment of $531,611 in support of 12 infrastructure projects in communities across the Parry Sound-Muskoka region (see attached Information Sheet).
The Canada 150 Community Infrastructure Program (CIP 150) funding, delivered through FedNor in Northern Ontario, is part of the Government of Canada’s coordinated approach to mark the 150th anniversary of Confederation. These investments across Canada will help create jobs, boost economic activity, strengthen communities, and celebrate Canada’s rich heritage and history.
“I would like to thank the Government of Canada for its investment in the Rosseau Memorial Hall, as well as in the other important infrastructure projects announced today. This historic facility is an important part of the fabric of Rosseau and area, and these improvements will ensure all residents can fully benefit from the facility’s many offerings.”
– Bruce Gibbon, Mayor, Seguin Township
The Township of Seguin $100,000 FEDNOR investment and the Seguin 2017 $375,000 Capital Budget Allocation will enable the Township of Seguin to undertake renovations to the Rosseau Memorial Hall to improve the accessibility of the building. The hall is an active hub of the community, housing a public library, and hosting early-years programming, seniors’ events, theatre productions and various community functions.
In the August 22, Seguin Council Agenda, a Staff Report recommends “That Council directs staff to put out a Request for Proposals (RFP) for Design and Contract Administration of the Rosseau Memorial Hall Accessibility Upgrades”.
Background and Discussion: On August 8, 2016, the Government of Canada announced that the Township would be receiving $100,000 towards the accessibility upgrades at the Rosseau Memorial Hall. As Council may recall, in June 2015, the Township applied for $375,000 from the Government for this 2017 project, with a matching $375,000 from the Township. Under the terms of this program, this project must be completed by March 31, 2018. Given that the accessibility upgrades are very technical in nature, under both the accessibility legislation in Ontario and the requirements of the Ontario Building Code, and the relatively tight timelines for completing the project, staff are recommending that the Township put out an RFP for an external consultant to design the upgrades and administer the required construction contracts.
Financial impact: In addition to the $100,000 grant, the Township has set aside $375,000 in the projected 2017 Capital Budget. The costs of the external consultant would be funded from that total of $475,000.
Notes of Interest
The Sunday MNRF Gun Hunting provision in Seguin will come into effect on September 1, 2016.
The Rosseau Fall Fair takes place Saturday August 27th beginning at 10:00 am with the Fair Parade. See rosseaufallfair.ca for all times and specifics. An Evening Movie is an added attraction to this years event. Gates open at 7:30 the movie begins at dusk, admission is free, bring your chairs, blankets, the Feature is “PAN”. Food will be available at the concession.
The Foley Fall Fair takes place Friday September 2, and Saturday Sept. 3 – look to Foley Fall Fair for details. Attractions include a horse show, live wrestling, tractor pull competition, midway rides, a talent show, vendor and exhibit displays, and food concessions.
The Airport Annual Fly In & Drive In will be held on September 10th, 2016 from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm at the Airport.
This Year’s Attractions, more to be announced…
- Tiger Moth from Edenvale Classic Aircraft Foundation
- Birds of Prey interactive display
- Kids games and face painting
- Northern Lights Steel Orchestra
- Classic Cars, Helicopter & Airplane Rides AND all the interesting aircraft that fly in!
- Wings Café will be open as well as hosting a BBQ
A summary of the August 22, 2016 Seguin Council Meeting .
- Provide notice of the proposed by-law to provide for the maintenance of property in a clean, clear and safe condition and seek public consultation. As per Option #2 of Report No. AD-2016-017, place notice in the local paper for two consecutive weeks, public notice on the local radio station broadcasts, on the Township’s website, on the bulletin boards at the transfer stations, in the library branches and email to the various ratepayer associations. Invite submission of written comments to Council on the proposed by-law which would then be considered at a public meeting along with the proposed by-law at the October 3rd Meeting of Council. Resolution No. 2016-271.
- Proceed with Consent Application No. B-20160023-C (Sheardown-Cave/Gudalefsky). Resolution No. 2016-270.
- Execute the documents approving of the Lake Trout Spawning Enhancement Project proposed by Karen Buck on behalf of the Clear Lake Association and waive any municipal fees for the Project.
- Implement the Schedule of Regular Meetings of Council for the Year 2017. Resolution No. 2016275.
- Execute the Contribution Agreement for funding for the Rosseau Memorial Hall Accessibility Project. By-law No. 2016-055.
- Advertise for Requests For Proposals for the accessibility improvement project at the Rosseau Memorial Hall.
- Advise Josie Adams and the Orrville Recreation Committee of Ms. Adam’s appointment to the Committee. Resolution No. 2016-277.
- Register all Members of Council for the District of Parry Sound Municipal Association Fall Meeting. Resolution No. 2016-278.
- Prepare a report to Council on the regulation of fireworks.
- Forward a donation/sponsorship in the amount of $500.00 to the Georgian Bay Biosphere Reserve for the hosting of the national premier of a documentary film series about Canadian Biosphere Reserves.
- Proceed with property tax write offs. By-law No. 2016-051.
- Proceed with the easement to various residents of Little Otter Lane and Walters Way. By-law No. 2016-053.